I’ve known Maya for many years–have loved her books since her first one–and finally got a chance to meet her in person last summer. It was, no surprise, a delight. And now I want to share her with you and make sure you are reading her books. So with no further fanfare (’cause she needs very little), may I present, Five Things about Maya Rodale:
1. Where is the most beautiful/romantic place you’ve ever been? Tanzania. The husband and I traveled there on our honeymoon, staying in a gorgeous, remote tented camp. The scenery and wildlife are just stunning. The whole experience was part of the inspiration behind the adventurous hero of The Tattooed Duke. It’s impossible to explain how amazing it was, so I’m including a picture instead.
2. Do you celebrate when you finish a book and what you do? Absolutely! I treat myself to a hair cut, mani-pedi and night out to celebrate. But then it’s back to catching up on everything else I ignored while on deadline: bills, cleaning, grocery shopping, etc. Goodbye 1820, hello again 2012.
3. If you were not writing, what job would you have? Let’s just say that I am like Monica from Friends when it comes to cleaning and organizing. I LOVE IT. So if I wasn’t writing, I’d probably start my own business de-cluttering and organizing other people’s stuff. Just me and my label maker and frequent trips to The Container Store. Joy.
4. Most embarrassing song on your iPod. Oh goodness, just one?! So as not to insult any artists or anyone’s musical tastes, I’ll say it’s my own recordings that are probably the most embarrassing—especially as a few were recorded with a friend and bottle of wine. It’s a good thing I switched my career path from rock star to romance writer.
5. Print or ebook? I confess: I am now a fairly devoted e-reader. I love the ease, convenience and lightness of it. Since I live in an NYC apartment with another very avid reader, it’s also a matter of space at this point—we just don’t have room for more books!
Maya Rodale is the author of numerous historical romance novels. She lives in New York City with a rogue of her own and their dog, Penelope. You can find her on the web at www.mayarodale.com, on Facebook and on Twitter. Her latest release, The Tattooed Duke, is available for order now and releases next Tuesday, February 28th.
Thanks for all the neat info–both of you are favorite writers of mine!
Always love learning interesting new things about people. Tanzania, that’s awesome!
Release Day is almost here!! Yay!
Thanks for having me visit your blog, ELizabeth! I’m a huge fan of your books and what fun questions!
Thank you for the interview, Maya and Elizabeth. Yes, e-books and e-readers are clearly the future of publishing.
But when it comes to reading for pleasure, I’m a Luddite. I still prefer books made from dead trees.
I must read e-books on my computer because I don’t have an e-reader. I can’t very well curl up under the covers late at night with an ergonomic keyboard and a chunky CRT monitor.
That’s one of the reasons I entered the contest that you, Maya, and Katharine Ashe are holding to celebrate your upcoming novels. The first prize is a Kindle.
Good luck with “The Tattooed Duke!
Wow, a tented camp? Was there a hot tub there? At least showers and a bath tub?
I have a Kindle and an iPAd and I hate reading ebooks on either one. Since I started reading ebooks on the laptop, I may just go back to that.
However, for books with great covers, I only buy the print version.
Mary Anne, as I was reading your comment I thought…”she should enter our facebook contest to win a kindle fire!” Glad you beat me too it. Good luck! Thanks for the good wishes on TTD!
Infiniteh, true story: The Husband said all he wanted for the honeymoon was to stay in a tent. So I found one with four poster bed and indoor plumbing…even wireless and a/c neither of which we used.
I do love a pretty cover on a book…totally worth the print version for that!
What a nice blog! I prefer paperbacks. They are so much easier to snuggle up on the couch with. I love the F/C on your book. It looks like it’ll be an interesting read. Thank you for the opportunity to win a copy… and best wishes with the release.