Over the years I’ve gone to a number of RWA conferences. I’ve pitched. I’ve gone to workshops. I’ve sat in my room and wondered what I was doing there. I’ve signed books. I’ve collected books. I’ve met agents, editors, publicists, professionals that I now call friends. I love conference. I loathe conference. All for the same reasons. So here are the quick links to the blogs I’ve written over the years with advice about going to conference:
1) My GLEE Inspired Conference Tips. Even if you have never watched Glee, there is advice here to that should be taken to heart. Believe me, conference can crush you like Vocal Adrenaline if you aren’t careful.
2) The Sure Thing. If you going to pitch anything at Nationals, please, do yourself a favor and read this.
3) How to Pack. This is crucial. Packing properly for RWA can save you a lot of heartache.
4) Most Important Advice Ever. Actually it should be first. I answer the most important question of all: Why go to conference. My answer will surprise you. Or hopefully it won’t.
5. What to Wear. Two words: Business Casual–as long as you feel comfortable in that. And by the way, the best dress I ever wore for the RITAs, which got nothing but compliments and “where did you get it?”, I got at the Goodwill for $9.95. The requisite dry cleaning was more expensive.
There’s my advice. If I left anything out and you have more conference questions, please post them in the comments and I will be happy to answer them.